Saturday, June 11, 2011

Woes of Singledom

Confession: I am single.  In high school and college that was fine because, hey, I was young and most people are single and ready to mingle anyways.  I'm not necessarily okay with being single, but I am used to it because I always have been.

"Enjoy is such a strong word...I...I'm used to it. 
You know, like cafeteria food, or the constant threat of terrorism."


- JD, Scrubs



But I've started to realize that I am entering that dreaded phase of my life where being single is even more of a drag.  There are now events other than prom where bringing your "other half" is expected...for example, my company's summer kickoff party. We got this invite about a month ago:

"Please bring your significant other."  I do not need this kind of pressure, okay, job?  I just want to go with my work friends and get drunk and then be collectively hungover and miserable the next day.  The whole "wear white" is an issue in itself - I don't need the added stress of being the only single kid there.

So I emailed Reception saying I would be attending, and get this message back:

"Thanks, Liz.  Will you be bringing your significant other?"

This picture pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation.

No, Reception, I am not.  Luckily though, most of my work friends are single too so we're just going to go as a group, so I know it will be a lot of fun!  Work hard, play hard - this is my department's motto.

In other news, what is with this weather?  Cold, rainy...bring back the sun!  I need to go out tonight in my white shorts and shake my thang with my girls.  This was a long stressful week, so I cannot wait :)

Have a great weekend, blogger!



1 comment:

  1. I wrote a post about being single a few months ago and used that same Bridget Jones picture- so funny!!! I LOVE Bridget Jones!!! Those novels/movies seriously make my life.

    And that's so odd about your work's obsession with significant others! The summer party sounds like the perfect time to be with your work friends versus hanging out with a date!

    ReplyDelete